Ageing skin: what’s behind the face

Ageing skin: what’s behind the face

02 April 2019, 14:30 - 18:00

Workshop Room 2
Language:
English

The objective of the workshop is to provide participants with understanding of new approaches in anti-ageing skin care focussing on innovations in the understanding of skin ageing and the ways to evaluate and promote product efficacy.

14:00 – 14:30     Sun, pollution and skin ageing
Prof. Steven Thng, Director, Singapore Skin Research Centre

This talk will focus on new knowledge on environment and skin aeging. Prof. Steven Thng will give a broad summary on how environment and pollution affects the skin, specifically in aging skin can pigmentation.

Latest scientific evidence on how pollution contributes to skin ageing will be shared and the talk will end with what doctors can do to help patient protect themselves against skin ageing. A detailed discussion on topical and oral photo-protection will also be discussed.

14:30 – 15:00     Skin ageing exposome
Gabrielle Sore, International Scientific Director, L’Oréal

Our skin is directly affected by Exposome which is the cumulative measure of environmental influences and associated biological responses from birth to death; it represents everything that is not genetic. Genetics has been found to account for only 20% of diseases and the remaining 80% appear to be from environmental causes.

Exposome leads to silent ageing with accumulation of biological damages leading to visible skin signs: wrinkles, dullness, dark spots, loss of firmness, rough skin. Skin Ageing is first driven by long UVAs exposure in the daily life, pollution is a worsening factor and is associated with pigmentary disorders and lifestyle can impact skin and triggers skin aging too (Tobacco, diet, stress & lack of sleep).

In everyday life, there is a cumulative effect of all factors coupled with genetic factors involved in the answer to exposome. As all is not genetic, we can slow down the skin aging exposome by adopting the good gestures in our everyday life and by using a specific cosmetic routine.

15:00 – 15:30     The challenges in claim support for anti-ageing skincare products
Dr. Jack Fergusson, President, Skinnovation

15:30 – 15:45     Coffee & Networking break

15:45 – 16:15     How to choose the best solution for in vitro and ex vivo testing
Alain Deguercy, President, Bioalternatives

16:15 – 16-45     Advances in imaging and modelling: the ageing human face
Paul Matts, Research Fellow, Procter & Gamble

The invention of the Charge-Coupled Device (CCD) has revolutionised our ability to image skin in a standardised, reproducible manner and the concurrent explosion in Computer Science and Computer Vision has birthed an exciting new age of automated analysis and modelling of ensuing data. This presentation will provide an overview of the most recent advances in these areas and will also muse on the future. The presenter will bring examples to life with case studies and data from recent studies.

16:45 – 17:15     Mapping of intrinsinc and extrinsinc ageing in Asian and Caucasian women

17:15 – 17:50     Panel discussion

17:50 – 18:00     Concluding remarks
Dr. Alain Khaiat, President, Seers Consulting

Contributors

  • Dr. Alain Khaiat

    Moderator

    President

    Seers Consulting

    Dr. Khaiat was awarded the first in-cosmetics Lifetime Achievement Award in Paris in April 2010. With more than 35 years of experience in the...

  • Prof Steven Thng

    Speaker

    Director

    Singapore Skin Research Centre

    Dr Steven Thng graduated from National University of Singapore in 1992 and went on to pursue his interest in Humanitarian and Disaster medicine with...

  • Gabrielle Sore

    Speaker

    International Scientific Director

    L’Oréal

    Gabrielle is a pharmacist with a Ph.D. in dermal pharmacology. She has been working for 28 years in the cosmetic industry. She spent the last 27...

  • Dr. Jack Fergusson

    Speaker

    President

    Skinnovation

    Jack Ferguson is an independent consultant to the cosmetics industry and is expert in suncare, skincare product development and support required for...

  • Alain Deguercy

    Speaker

    President

    Bioalternatives

  • Paul Matts

    Speaker

    Research Fellow

    Procter & Gamble

    Paul joined Procter & Gamble 1988 and has spent the majority of his career in R&D conducting research and developing methods to feed the technology...

We use cookies to operate this website and to improve its usability. Full details of what cookies are, why we use them and how you can manage them can be found by reading our Privacy & Cookies page. Please note that by using this site you are consenting to the use of cookies.