Although the palette of green ingredients has broadened significantly in recent years, formulators still grapple with technical issues when using such ingredients. This workshop gives details on the green ingredients per major raw material class: surfactants, emollients, emulsifiers, preservatives, polymers, etc. The formulation and technical challenges of using these green ingredients vis-à-vis synthetic materials are highlighted. Practical advice and guidance is given to organisations looking at using these green raw materials in their formulations.
The workshop will address the following questions:
- What factors are behind the drive towards green ingredients?
- What is the definition of a green ingredient? What are the differences between green, natural, nature-identical and organic ingredients?
- What are the major developments in green raw material sources?
- What green ingredients can be used as surfactants, emulsifiers and emollients?
- What green ingredients are available in raw materials classes, such as preservatives, polymers, silicones, etc.?
- What are the formulation issues when using green ingredients?
- What are the safety, stability and technical issues when using green raw materials?
- What green ingredients are approved by the major certification and standard organisations? What ingredients are certified?
- What guidance can be given to companies looking to formulate using green ingredients?